Diploma and Graduation FAQs

Can I transfer credits from a homeschool portfolio or from standardized exams?

Students may transfer in credits from any accredited institution. Insight School of Washington (ISWA) reserves the right to refuse transfer credits from non-accredited institutions or for homeschool experiences. A homeschool packet is required to transfer homeschool credits. Students who wish to transfer in credits based on homeschool work or portfolios or coursework completed at a non-accredited institution may petition ISWA to accept their credits.

The state of Washington requires all students to earn a Certificate of Academic Achievement or a Certificate of Individual Achievement, which students earn as they pass state exams. Students transferring from outside of Washington state should work with their academic counselor to determine if other state scores can be transferred to meet Washington state requirements.

Who issues the diploma?

Graduating students receive a diploma issued by ISWA, a school of Quillayute Valley School District.

Can my child apply to college after graduating from ISWA?

Absolutely. When your child graduates, they’ll earn a valid diploma issued by ISWA, a state-approved, accredited public school. They’ll also receive all the records required for the college application process:

  • Valid transcripts
  • Public school SAT/ACT scores
  • Teacher recommendations
  • School extracurricular activities
  • A student portfolio and culminating project

Colleges and universities have begun to appreciate that independent study programs such as ISWA often do a better job of preparing students for college because of the important time management and individual responsibility skills they impart. Students from programs such as ISWA often make the transition to college more readily than many of their counterparts.